We’re back from a few weeks away with this winter warmer of a set recorded live at Deep Connection in Second Life. The same day this set was recorded we had the heaviest snowfall in Wellington in about 40 years, heralding a polar blast which chilled New Zealand to record levels. The cold southerly gales and icy rain are still going for it four days later!
Most of this set is upbeat, cheery and warm, with a bit of a chillout in the middle – perfect for summer as well, come to think of it ;) There’s new music from Norm Talley, Meschi, Delano Smith and Jon DaSilva, some current faves from Retrac, Jimpster and DJ Assassin, as well as a few old classics like “Mindspeak”, “Deep Inside” and “My Beat”.
Matthew Herbert gets things underway with the evergreen “Got to be movin'” which has to be one of the greatest warm up tracks ever, with snappy beats and a deep, resonant bassline that fills the room. I have great memories of hearing it early on in the night at the Que Club in Birmingham, probably at House of God, and throwing a few shapes to it on the half empty, but slowly filling, dancefloor. It was probably also the first time I turned to someone and said excitedly “hey I have this!” when out at a club!
Also super good is Delano Smith’s remix of “Krypton Factor”, which came out recently on Apparel Music and is named after an obscure British game show from the 80s (which I remember well!). Maybe the rolling, Moroderesque bassline and soaring Moog solo has something to do with why it’s so irresistable. Pick of the week though is Vakula’s “Gospel Keyboards”. Full on, chunky beats and soulful keys hold hands and run around with glee, in a raw and jazzy workout that brings to mind the likes of Theo Parrish or Moodymann. Instantly lovable!
Thanks to everyone who came along to Deep Connection and made it a great night + big thanks to Casha for having me over to play! The In Deep sessions on Future Music radio are back on every Wednesday, with the odd intermission due to, well, other things in life taking over occasionally. We’ve reached the big three-oh anyway – Enjoy the music!
Olaf Quintessa – In Deep #030
Recorded live at Deep Connection, 13th Aug 2011
125 mins. 192 kbps MP3 (172 MB)
1. Matthew Herbert – Got To Be Movin’
2. T.W.I.C.E. – Bahia Beach (No Ears Mix)
3. Retrac – Starts With A Horse
4. Norm Talley – Tell Me (Late Night Creeper Mix)
5. Vakula – Gospel Keyboards
6. Jamie Lloyd – Last Drive (Gerd Remix)
7. Red D, Lemakuhlar – Is Essit
8. Meschi – East Coast Way
9. Francois K – Mindspeak
10. Bodie Lee – Foxy Tonight (Ajello Remix)
11. Chymera – Ghosts
12. Delano Smith, Gavin Herlihy – Krypton Factor (Delano’s Deep Space Mix)
13. 16B – Being The Face
14. Nhar – Innerplace (John Daly Dub Mix)
15. Eric Kupper – Bloom
16. Delano Smith – Change Is Coming
17. Jimpster – Inside the loop
18. Trinidadian Deep – Burning Bridges
19. El Prevost – Rococo (Retrac Dub)
20. DJ Assassin – Deep Is Happening (Detroit Soul Mix)
21. Yaron Cohen – White Rabbit (Shur-I-Kan Remix)
22. Vincenzo – Keep Moving feat. Lisa Shaw
23. Hardrive – Deep Inside
24. Jon Dasilva – Love Is All We Need feat. Donald Waugh (Dub Mix)
25. Steffi – Arms (Lone Remix)
26. Black Jack – Thoughts
27. Rick Wade – Whistle Bump Track
28. Blaze – My Beat (Derrick Carter Remix)
29. Rick Wade – Bang Baby
30. Drivetrain – Driven
Picture credit: Deep Connection, Second Life