New music from Space Dimension Controller and Future Beat Alliance made my head spin this week.
“Temporary Thrillz” by Space Dimension Controller is a wigged out collection of electronica and house with a big nod to the likes of Herbie Hancock and Funkadelic, with a sound which perfectly captures the SDC myth:
“Travelling outside the barrier into deep space where no radar can detect him, Mr. 8040 creates music using ancient earth technologies alone in his Electropod. When ready he ventures deeper into space to uncharted colonies where music is accepted. He plays in illegal night clubs on distant moons and alien proto-spheres.”
In other words, as Mr. 8040 himself describes it, “galactic funk”.
The new Future Beat Alliance EP, “Mourning”, which has just come out on Tresor records, is an impeccable three-tracker of uplifting, prog-style techno. All three tracks are lavished with expansive, lush synths, evoking the utopian electronic dreams of Giorgio Moroder and Jean Michel-Jarre. I couldn’t resist playing all three cuts this week.
I also spent a bit of time exploring the superb back catalog of In Deep Records, a Warsaw-based label featuring artists such as In Deep We Trust, Addex and DJ Gentle. There’s an interesting and eclectic mix of deep house, tech/prog house, and nu disco type stuff on the label, with a generally synthy and upbeat feel – In other words, deep and groovy but not too deep! Well worth checking out and I’ll be keeping an eye on them in future.
As for the rest of the show, big-hitters Francois DuBois and Scope combine on “Blood”, a lovely deep house track with a summery feel which you can pick up for free from Urban Torque recordings. There’s also a couple of golden oldies from Yellow Sox and Cine City, classic 90s deep house cuts released on the legendary Nuphonic and Paper Recordings labels. The 10″ vinyl release of “Are you sure Joe?” was one of the few records that I kept in my collection when I moved to New Zealand, and I’m especially fond of it because it samples one of my favourite old school sci-fi flicks (Any guesses?).
120 mins. 192 kbps MP3 (164 MB)
1. 2ylite – Love Siren
2. Tornado Wallace – Paddlin’ (Linkwood Remix)
3. Motor City Drum Ensemble – Breath Control
4. Morning Factory – Maiden Voyage
5. Stel – The Nail That Sticks
6. Space Dimension Controller – Transatlantic Landing Bay
7. Oliver Koletzki – Nascita Of The Monsters (Ajello remix)
8. Yellow Sox – Flim Flam
9. Kirby – Stenope
10. Rick Wade – Something For The Journey
11. Future Beat Alliance – Mourning
12. Giorgio Moroder – Chase
13. Cine City – Are You Sure Joe?
14. Future Beat Alliance – Endless Blue
15. Apologist – Revolution
16. DJ Gentle – Simple Love
17. Linkwood – Electricity
18. Addex – Get Outside
19. Francois DuBois – Blood (Scope Remix)
20. Future Beat Alliance – Discordant
21. In Deep We Trust – Hopscotch
22. Nivek Tsoy – New Galaxy Love
23. Space Dimension Controller – Mercurial Attraction
24. June – Sea Of Stars
25. 2 AM/FM – Desolate Cities