Kez Ym and Franck Roger are the stars of the show this week. I was led to these two artists after listening to a wonderful deep house mix by Mike Huckaby, and instantly had to track down some of their productions.
Kez Ym, otherwise known as Kazuki Yamaguchi, is a musician from Tokyo who has picked up worldwide attention since getting seriously involved with the club music scene just 4 years ago. His organic, jazz-funk beat-down style has a lot in common with Detroit producers such as Theo Parrish and Moodymann, with rich musical textures and irresistable grooves. Meanwhile the bassline from “Inner City Funk” is something worthy of the Chicago Institute of Advanced Basslines. He has releases out on 4Lux, Yore and Deep Explorer and I’ll definitely be pouncing on anything else he puts out in future.
Looking at Franck Roger’s formidable back catalog on Discogs.com I feel a pang of shame and regret that I haven’t come across his stuff sooner. The first thing that grabs me about his productions is the super tight, upbeat percussion which leaves you in no doubt that this is music for dancing. But at the same time he can go in a totally dreamy direction, or moody, or just plain uplifting. There is no shortage of ideas and originality, with a clear musicality that beams through. I think my pick of the week has to be his track “La Moule” – A new release on Real Tone/FR Productions with crisp, slightly afro style beats and a joyous hook. It brings to mind some of the early Africanism releases that came out on Yellow Recordings in the early 2000s like “Bisou Sucre”.
There are also lots of other goodies from Alton Miller, Gerd and Freestyle Man this week. The mix also flies into electro territory briefly, with some floaty Komarken Electronics and The Hacker, following a Sons of the Dragon track on Echospace Detroit that morphs into an electro workout at the end. “Nu Odyssey” is an old favourite of mine on the Paper Recordings label from 1997, and is otherwise known as the “bubble and squeak” track. I’ll leave you to figure out why.
Olaf Quintessa – In Deep #005
Recorded live on Future Music radio, 29th Sept 2010
120 mins. 192 kbps MP3 (164 MB).
1. Herbert – 100 Lbs. [Phono]
2. Kez Ym – Dull Me [YORE]
3. W&P Hgg – Especies De Chicago [Deep Explorer]
4. Alex Agore – Memories [4Lux Black]
5. Kez Ym – Washing My Heart [YORE]
6. Franck Roger – Mind Illusions [Earthrumental Music]
7. Alton Miller – In & Out [FatSouls]
8. Gerd – Freedom (G Mix) [Royal Oak]
9. Franck Roger – Victoria’s Dreams [FR Productions]
10. Freestyle Man – One For Chez [Wazi Wazi Music]
11. Ron Trent – It’s Magic [Future Vision Music]
12. Nature Soul – River Benue (Ibadan Dub) [Ibadan]
13. Franck Roger – La Moule [FR Productions]
14. Eric Kupper, K Scope – Stargazer [Arabesque]
15. Trancemicsoul – The Marine [Music Plan Tracks]
16. Kez Ym – Pepe [YORE]
17. The Rurals – Deepflow [Peng]
18. Sons Of The Dragon – Motor City Matrix [Echospace Detroit]
19. Komarken Electronics – Like A Peaceful Moment Of Air [Stilleben]
20. The Hacker – Haunted [MinimalRome]
21. Ian Pooley – Gimmie Sound (Beloved Throwback Mix) [NRK]
22. Vivace – 2 Need U [Echospace Detroit]
23. Freestyle Man – Blazin [Wazi Wazi Music]
24. Kerri Chandler, Jerome Sydenham – Rising The Sun [Ibadan]
25. Departure Lounge – Nu Oddessey (Ham’n’eggs Dub) [Paper Recordings]
26. Kez Ym – Inner City Funk [YORE]
27. Franck Roger – Re-Birth [Real Tone Records]
Interview with Kez Ym on the What People Play website:
http://www.whatpeopleplay.com/?redirect … etail/1865